Saturday 31 December 2011

Last day of the old year, otherwise known as the year from Hell! I shall be delighted to see the back of this year and to embrace the new. Resolutions to revolve around what I will do rather than what I won't. As Gandhi said "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Thus I am resolving to change myself and to stop worrying about others. I am ever the aspiring Buddhist, but I fall dismally short.
I will try to be more frugal.
I will try to be more healthy.
I will try to engage my brain before talking.
I will try to be more compassionate.
I will try to find ways to love myself.
I will have a life outside of work.
I will spend less.
I will use up the food in the larder/freezer/fridge before going shopping (I am a hoarder).
I will (finally) de-clutter my life! (In spite of some peoples' comments, I am NOT like that poor man on the telly who hoards absolutely everything, but I do hang on to things I no longer need). This is the year to act on William Morris' adage not to own anything that that is neither useful or beautiful.


Okay, that will do to start with..... the list may be amended as we proceed! I am going to meet my sister in Norwich today to go to a fabric warehouse.  The idea being to rekindle my love of all that is home-made. I intend to make next year's Christmas presents through sewing, knitting, baking .... and I am going to learn to crochet. When my beautiful daughter was on the way (she is now 24) my fabulous neighbour, Tommy (aka Mrs Thompson) taught me to crochet and together we made baby blankets. However, she would start them off and I was left to continue, so I never learnt to start or finish pieces myself. This amazing lady was well into her eighties then, but still managed to bring me soup and cuddle the baby when she realised I was struggling as a new Mum... she was an angel. Wherever you are Mrs T., I think of you often and my thanks to you are heartfelt.


So, project number 1 is a pinafore dress for my utterly delightful 5 year old niece, Pumpkin. I also want to see if there are offcuts I could use to begin quilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting - I do enjoy reading them xx