Wednesday 15 August 2012

Uninvited Guests

Hello Lovely Readers

Apologies (grovel, grovel, grovel) for my long absence. However, I thought you might like to see our latest house guest. I say "guest" although he (she?) walked in the other evening uninvited and made himself at home.


Mr Thrifty was reading in the lounge and caught the visitor out of the corner of his eye and thought it was our cat, Gomez. He certainly did a double take when he realised it wasn't and called us down to have a look. #4 coaxed the visitor out from beneath the couch with ham, but his idea of catching him in a shoe box didn't work out. 




He decided to have a little play in the potato basket, a look around the kitchen and a nosey in the bin (full of Zena's hair after I had brushed her).


When the boys had had enough playing they coaxed him out with a broom and he left the same way he had entered, by the back door.

I contacted the British Wildlife Society as we aren't supposed to have pole cats in our area, but that is what we thought it might be. The very nice man from the BWS emailed back to say that he thought it was a pole cat x ferret and had possibly been an escapee pet as he seemed rather friendly.

Anyhow, it brightened an otherwise dull evening and #3 (who is 19) described it as "the best day ever" - bless him.

So, what do you think? Is the BWS man right or do you think it is something else? Anyone in East Anglia seen pole cats? (They are apparently spreading east)

Love Mrs Thrifty
xxx





22 comments:

  1. It is a "Ferret". Most of them are harmless and very playful...You never see them running around on the loose, we see them in pet stores and a lot of people have them as pets. Never really known them to "bite" but possible! If you ever get to hold one...it feels soft and squishy, could slip out of your hands very easily! Overall..I believe they are fun to play with and then send them on their way...they stink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure looks like a fat faced "cheeky" ferret to me...lol. Love those kinds of excitement coming and in out the door !

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a pet ferret. Guess is that it made a run for it when it got the chance...perhaps a friend caring for it while the owners are on holiday?
    Jane x
    PS A polecat would have caused havoc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a ferret to me too. Whatever he is he certainly looks like a cheeky little chappy :)
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm no help I'm afraid, but what a surprise to find him in your house he does look cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I would have totally freaked if he had walked into our house! I am a little bit scared of most animals! He is though, rather cute.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, welcome back to this World xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. He's very cute! I wonder where he came from, bet he has a story to tell, definately a ferret! Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww...you probably don't want it at home but it's a cutie :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to have you back :) - yes i'd say a Ferret too - he's a lovely looking boy - i wonder where he did come from?! What an unusual visitor!! Marina xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, he looks like a ferret. Cute photos, but it must have been such a surprise to see him in your house!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm afraid it is a lost ferret. He/she looked like it was having a grand time. It is pretty cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. He is most definitely a pet ferret, and he may either have escaped a 'babysitter' or been abandoned. He looks too 'at home' in your house to be a wild animal. He was obviously looking for food and warmth.

    Such a cutie.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. AHHH! He's a cute one! I dont know what marmalade would have made of him though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pet ferret.. Hopefully someone is missing him..and he's not a throw away..I used to have an animal door but I got rid of that the night the fox kit tried to enter! he was cute but...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope he or she finds a way home...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my, it must have been quite a shock to see your surprise visitor...who does look very much like a ferret to me but I am definitely not an expert...very cute though! I wonder what's the story?..
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice! I do hope you're going to keep him/her.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gosh! That would have made me jump!
    Poor thing must be someones pet because when we were little my Uncle Frank had two ferrets down on the farm in Wiveliscombe and he said they are very timid animals in the wild. He used them to ferret out rats from their holes. I remember I wanted to cuddle them and he wouldn't let me because he said they'd bite me. They are hyperactive animals always on the go. I do hope he finds his owner or he goes to a good home.

    Keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree, I would have jumped out of my skin to start. He does look a sweet little fellow.

    Any update news?

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Similar face markings to a pole cat can be confused. But, that`s a ferret alright!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How cute :) Hope the little guy finds his way back home since he definitely looks tame. I've been told that Pole cats are just feral Ferrets and that there's much difference between them biologically. We have tons of Pole cats on the Isle of Man; apparently from when some ferrets escaped/were released on the island a century ago. We also have a healthy population of Wallabies that naturalised the same way more recently! Anyhow a friend just caught a Pole cat in his barn last week so have a look at this photo for comparison.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - I do enjoy reading them xx