Sunday 19 February 2012

All shall be well...

"And all shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well."

Although I grew up in Norfolk I hadn't heard of Mother Julian of Norwich until relatively recently, having been introduced to her when I was doing a masters degree at the University of East Anglia. She was an anchoress, born in Norwich in 1342 and lived into her 70s. During her time as an anchoress she had a series of visitations or "showings of love" which she later describes and she is regarded as one of the most important English mystics. The above quote was something I held onto during a very dark period of my life and I believe it to be true. Reading some other blogs this morning, I am aware that there are bloggers out there feeling low and unwell and so I just wanted to share this thought. Maybe it will speak to someone and lift their spirits. I hope so.


In the meantime, there is a pot of tea brewing, so feel free to call in for a cuppa and a chat xxx



9 comments:

  1. just finished a cup of tea and am in need of a refill, so I'll just pop on by......

    Gill in Canada.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quote! And wouldn't it be fun if all of us who read each others blogs could pop in for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful quote...I have heard it before and kind of say it to myself...the other one I like is' "This too shall pass"...not sure who said it... but I was going to write it on my living room wall a while ago...but the moment passed! ... Happy Sunday... :)x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just sat down with my Redbush tea.

    I have heard of Julian of Norwich during my theology degree but only vaguely. Maybe you could tell me more....

    I love quotes that speak to us.

    One of my favourites Jo (from Through the Keyhole) mentioned just the other day...

    What is this world if full of care, we have no time to stand and stare.

    Have a great day!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  5. New pot of Redbush just made ladies ...
    I love quotes that talk to us too. I wrote that poem on my blog a while ago ... really makes you stop and think doesn't it! Mother Julian was quite a woman by all accounts. In my counselling life I would love to be able to say to people who are utterly desperate that "this too shall pass" - how true Stocki! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sft - another great one, quoted by Nelson Mandella comes from the poem Invictus (hence the film)

    I thank whatever Gods may be,
    For my unconquerable soul. ....
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

    William Ernest Henley xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. A quote I read recently on the wall of a chapel inside a psychiatric hospital read:
    "what the caterpillar calls the end of the world - the Master calls a Butterfly"

    Would love a cuppa .... much to catch up about xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great quote! It should be my life slogan. Looks like you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - I do enjoy reading them xx