Saturday 11 February 2012

Versatlile Blogger Award

Ooohhhh. Sft at http://sftandthe101challenge.blogspot.com/   just made my day by giving me the Versatile Blogger Award - I am thrilled to bits - thank you so much. My very first award and I am only just over a month old!


The rules of the prize are:
  1. Thank the person who gave you the award
  2. Link back that person
  3. Select blogs that you've recently discovered (and think deserve it!) and nominate them
  4. Tell the person who nominated you 7 things about yourself
The blogs I would like to nominate are:







Now then, 7 things to tell Sft:

1. I am sitting typing, wearing a lovely Kaffe Fassett cardigan that I knitted 25 years ago when I was expecting Number 1. It is so warm and the colours are just gorgeous.

2. I lost a substantial amount of hearing in my 30s and 40s through Meniere's Disease, but I still teach languages, wear hearing aids, and lip read pretty well... students know that can't swear when I am around! I am a reasonable signer and am currently doing my level 3 (BSL). 

3. I love genealogy and have traced my paternal line back to 1600s Norfolk to a farmer, buried in Roughton. My maternal line is Irish and contains (deceased) archdeacons, priests and nuns - including a Mother Superior at the Ursuline convent in Blackrock, Ireland.

4. My grandmother taught me to knit when I was 7, but I only learnt to crochet 3 weeks ago and I am loving it.

5. The most amazing place I have visited is Petra in Jordan.

6. I have been with Mr Thrifty for 28 years - since university days.

7. My lovely grandfather started his working life at the age of 12 on the Aquitania, the sister ship of the Titanic, and sailed into the Baltic Sea to witness refugees fleeing the Russian revolution and drank milkshakes in milk bars in New York during prohibition.




Again, thank you Sft for the nomination - I feel very honoured xx




7 comments:

  1. Congrats on your award - what interesting facts - I really need to learn how to crochet - I see so many gorgeous crocheted things and cute amigurami I would love to have a go at xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing such interesting information about yourself! It is nice to get to know more about the person behind the blog. I have many English ancestors on my paternal side and have traced if far back too. Maternal if mostly Swedish and Scot-Irish but they don't sound as interesting as your ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry - cant read your type - much too tiring on the eyes and doesnt add anything to your blog IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ali - I bought a very basic book and then watched youtube videos - it's easy when you get it - do have a go.
    Thanks Juhli - genealogy is very addictive isn't it?
    Sorry Lizzie - I changed it for one reader - I'll change again xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs.Thrifty, congratulations on your well-earned award! It's SO kind of you to nominate me, but I don't take part in awards, thank you for thinking of me though, hugs, xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Congratulations on an award so quickly...that must be a record...and well deserved! What a fascinating family history you have...it must make you feel like a really strong woman. Have a lovely Sunday... :)x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank Tina x You too Stocki - I do indeed come from a formidable line of matriarchs and I think there must be a gene for resilience because I have it. Suffolk warming up slowly although more snow here last night xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - I do enjoy reading them xx