Sunday 19 February 2012

Pay it forward and Sunday night chit chat.

In reply to Sft's question - "how have you spent the day?".....

Got up early so that I could finish a purse that wasn't on my PhD (Projects half-done) list, but I saw it in a book last night and had to have it. I crocheted last night whilst watching Casualty and then got up this morning to line it and make the flowers. Do you like it? I am so in love with crochet!

I then met a gorgeous couple who had come to buy a travel cot I was selling (£10 profit in the pot). Their beautiful baby girl is 7 weeks old and has outgrown her Moses basket ..... she weighed in at 11lbs 8oz and she is scrumptious. Mum and baby doing really well. I gave her a little book/teether that I had bought as a gift. I had been thinking for a while about the "Pay it forwards" idea. Have you heard of this? I'll tell you more in a bit...

Went for a walk with Mr Thrifty and Zena down by the river; sunny but very cold, and good to get out and shake away the cobwebs. Popped in to Morrisons to peruse bargains. Finished baby hat (PhD #2) and then cooked supper which we ate early because we didn't do lunch today.

Now, for my first ever


SUNDAY NIGHT CHIT CHAT

What am I ......

Reading?

Bill Bryson "At Home" - fascinating book but taking me some time to get through (probably because I keep crafting!)



Watching?
Pay it Forward

Young Trevor McKinney, troubled by his mother's alcoholism and fears of his abusive but absent father, is caught up by an intriguing assignment from his new social studies teacher, Mr. Simonet. The assignment: think of something to change the world and put it into action. Trevor conjures the notion of paying a favor not back, but forward--repaying good deeds not with payback, but with new good deeds done to three new people. Trevor's efforts to make good on his idea bring a revolution not only in the lives of himself, his mother and his physically and emotionally scarred teacher, but in those of an ever-widening circle of people completely unknown to him. I found this film utterly inspiring and have watched it 3 times now. When I met this young couple today  just felt the urge to do something nice for them and they were thrilled with the little book. Isn't it gorgeous?

If you need more inspiration go and take a look at this blog http://www.lilblueboo.com/?s=pay+it+forward   Ashley chronicles her battles with cancer and is still full of joy. In this entry she talks about a Pay if Forward day. I found a website that talks of a Pay it Forward day on 26th April. Think of the joy we could spread.................. Wow!


Listening to?

Here's what I listen to a lot of the time .... it is beautiful:

Mohave 3
Excuses for Travellers


Cooking?

Shepherd's Pie (quorn version) with Spring greens and carrots


Looking forward to?

Polar Bear: Spy on the Ice

On BBC1 tonight. I adore programmes like this; anything to do with nature and wildlife.






Thankful for today?

I have enough to eat, somewhere to call home, work, health,  family and friends. I am truly blessed.


13 comments:

  1. Oh Jess - the term "paying it forward" is very big here in Canada. Last week we had decorators in the house and at the end of the week one of the painters, a young man recently split from his long term girlfriend, asked me if instead of throwing out an old set of drawers in my garage, could he have them as he had moved into a new apartment and had nothing. All I hear him say is that he "has nothing" .... I immediately take him around my house opening drawers and cupboards and asking him "can you use this? How about that? Would you like those?" He was overwhelmed with the "stuff" and I felt great for paying it forward!!
    My girls just roll their eyes at me and say "Oh Mother - you never stop being a Mum to everyone ... and now the decorators too."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is so lovely Ruth - don't ever change x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so talented - that purse is very cute. And what a kind thing to do for that young couple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your finishes - you are on a roll xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    So glad you'd like to join me on the Pretty Craft Home journey! I've added your link to my sidebar and I'm here to have a little nosey around you blog and wish you good luck!

    Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love pay it forward here!

    Thanks for the great chit chat!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I loved this post.As rmauber said...pay it forward is big here in Canada. Little things make a big difference.I often carry coupons I cannot use myself, so give them to the person next to me in the checkout line.
    I love the Sunday chat too!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, "Pay it Forward" is a wonderful way to be. A young girl just got her first place, so I was told, just in time as we knew about a free bed for her, and I just happened to have sheet sets from my declutter project yesterday ... all fell together very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for all your wonderful comments - have a great week xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi just found your lovely blog, what a lovely crochet purse, I love crocheting too, just doing a throw in cotton yarn in blue and white. Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Julie - have been to visit you too - welcome x

    ReplyDelete
  12. The purse is super sweet! Love how bright & fun it is! Perfect! :) I always "pay it foward" and try to bless others as often as I can! Making others happy makes my life "rich"... I love nature shows too! Enjoy your Sunday night!

    ReplyDelete
  13. gorgeous crochet , I really can't seem to master it! Fab idea to "pay it forward" How kind x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - I do enjoy reading them xx