Thursday 16 February 2012

Awards and PhDs


My lovely follower Lena has given me the Versatile Blogger Award - my second in a week and I feel very honoured - thank you Lena x 
The rules of the prize are:
1. Thank the person who gave you the reward
2. Link back that person    http://frugalandthankful.blogspot.com/
3. Select blogs that you've recently discovered (and think deserve it) and nominate them
4. Tell the person who nominated you 7 things about yourself.





I wrote 7 random things earlier in the week, so I do hope you'll forgive me Lena if I link back to those.  http://craftthriftandlove.blogspot.com/2012/02/versatlile-blogger-award.html     

 However, I will add that I have visited Russia twice and saw Moscow and St Petersburg (Leningrad) in 1977 and again in 1990. The difference was phenomenal. The first time I was only 16 and the culture shock was huge. Another girl and I queued for hours for what we thought was ice-cream only to find out that it was lard - yeuk! I loved the black bread, the tea in samovars and the night trains. The second time we were allowed in the Kremlin and saw Faberge eggs and royal carriages. 


The other award I will talk about this evening is my PhD.


Yes, I am joking. PhD = Projects Half Done!  As part of the big clean up I sorted my crafting area. I organised all my materials into one cupboard..... here they are.



This used to be my glass cupboard but I managed to relocate the glasses that we used and get rid of the rest. I then lined the cupboard with a pretty wallpaper and organised my fabric stash.

The confession though .... and the PhD.... is the number of incomplete projects I uncovered. So here is the list:

Half a lovely black pure wool scarf
A blue baby cardigan knitted in baby bamboo but never sewn up.
A cream baby cardigan which just needs half a sleeve, sewing together and buttons.
One almost complete sock knitted in baby alpaca (soooo soft).... I wanted to try knitting on 4 needles.
Another sock knitted in a multi-coloured sock yarn and missing its partner
A white baby hat - never sewn up.
A pullover started in eco-wool for Pie when he was 3 ..... he is now 7 .... I have unpicked it this evening.
A multi-coloured baby cardigan - only just started in Adriafil Knitcol (100% merino wool) - because I saw the wool on my local wool shop and fell in love with it. Half a back complete.

There, confession over. I was raised a Catholic - we do guilt! So, adding to my resolutions.. I resolve to complete these projects and post each one when completed and you, lovely readers, are my witnesses. I made a start this evening, completing the blue bamboo cardigan which is now all sewn up and waiting for its neckband and buttons. I promise to finish what I start!

Finally, a huge welcome to my new readers. Have a wonderful evening, wherever you are xxx








9 comments:

  1. lol - congrats on your award - and good luck finishing all your projects xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, love it PHD. Your fabric looks great. I too have a pile of must do and will do projects I am pulling out as I declutter my scrap/sewing room! We will inspire each other!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I am impressed with the poshness of your fabric stash. If you promise not to tell anyone....I have a PhD... one lemon mitten knitted for my nephew. I haven't got round to making the second one yet..my nephew will be 40 next year.
    Oh, you're feeling better now aren't you!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the Reward, I too was awarded by Lena, but didn't want to pass onto you for the 3rd time, lol. Love your PHd will have to have me one of those, lol. Nice order of materials.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, thanks for sharing.I bet it was quite a cultural shock for you! And good luck on all your projects. I have a pretty extensive PhD list myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all your comments. Debbie - we will certainly keep each other at it. x
    Jane - oh you did make me laugh ... and you kept the mitten! I do remember my mother starting a balaclava (remember those) for one of my brothers in the 60s and that was still in a cupboard years later. x
    Just North of .... thank you - you go right ahead and have a PhD too x
    Lena - it was (Russia) but fascinating too. I already loved Impressionist art and I couldn't believe how many of the great masters were hanging in the Pushkin. I also remember elderly ladies working on the roads of Moscow ready for the Olympic games - using pick axes xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much (feeling the bloggy love!) but I have already been awarded it. Love Phd - have way too many!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have lots of PHDs -although not in craft.

    Congrats on your award.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - I do enjoy reading them xx